Saturday 18 January 2014

Getting It Wrong

As I am now an aged driver, at regular intervals I have to renew my driving licence.  A Driving licence renewal application Form D46P  is sent, and has to be completed and returned in order to receive an updated licence.  Item 3 is as follows:

Your eyesight   Please put X as appropriate

A.   Can you meet the legal eyesight standard
for driving using classes or corrective lenses if needed?        Yes   No
B.    Do you need to wear glasses or corrective lenses
to meet the standard?                                                                Yes   No

I don't need glasses or corrective lenses to meet the legal standard for driving. How, then, to answer item A?  For that matter, how to answer item B? 

Anyway, I got one of them wrong.  So, the document was returned to me with a request to correct the error. 

This set me thinking.  Or perhaps worrying.  Am I in the early (or even advanced) stages,  not of loss of vision, but loss of comprehension faculties? 

Surely only one question is required in order to confirm the state of one's vision, and that is question B.  If you have to wear glasses or corrective lenses to meet the standard, then presumably the reissued driving licence will include this requirement.  

It does seem to me that the DVLA has made a meal of this item. Or maybe it is me who is doing so!  



No comments:

Post a Comment